This reflects the level of volatility of the virtual machine underlying the
software product to be developed. The virtual machine is defined as the
complex of hardware and software the product will call upon to accomplish
its tasks. The ratings are defined in terms of the relative frequency of
major and minor changes:
- Major change:
- significantly affects roughly 10% of routines under development.
- Minor change:
- significantly affects roughly 1% of routines under development.
- Very Low: No rating - defaults to Low.
- Low: Major change every 12 months
- Nominal: Major change every 6 months; Minor: 2 weeks
- High: Major: 2 months; Minor: 1 week.
- Very High: Major: 2 weeks; Minor: 2 days.
- Extra High: No rating - defaults to Very High.